Sunday 31 July 2011

Antigua for post service & R & R

It's Sunday & we left the Mission Home around 10 this morning to bus to Antigua.  The Chef at the Mission Home made special crepes this morning for breadfast and they were delicious!   Our hotel in Antigua is wonderful.  It's called Quinta de las Flores and when you look at the front which of course, is gated with a large black metal door, it does not look attractive.  However, behind that door & a long way back, it springs with gardens, water desplays, a pool and accommodations that are wonderful.     Elaine & I are sharing a Garden Room and we have a beautiful bathroom, hot water, facecloths, double beds & it is large.  Much different than how we spent the past week in the Mission Home on bunkbeds (I had a top bunk) & 4 to a room!  The water there was heated by what they refer to as a "widow maker" so rarely did one have a warm shower.  I thoroughly enjoyed my shower before dinner tonight & even stayed longer than I normally would! A great meal tonight at an Italian restaurant --yes in Guatemala!  I did some shopping today and this town was booming with visitors & locals alike.  On Sunday they close off some of the streets so it makes it great for strolling around.  Antigua is a very busy, bustling town.  The streets are all cobblestone & I've learned in Guatemala in general, that stop signs are just a suggestion!  Also, pedestrians here do not have the right of way & after today I think they actually get more for knocking off a Canadian.  One car appeared to stop for us to cross but as I stepped off the curb, the car sped up.  I made it to the other side but Linda almost didn't.  ATM's here have security guards at the door which is much different than at home. And there was a long line up to get funds from the only one with money in it this afternoon.  I haven't taken many pictures today & as it is late & I'm tired & have an early morning tomorrow--8 o'clock bus to the all day Spa--I am closing off for tonight (probably for most it will be Monday when you read this).  I will post some pictures soon of the hotel and Antigua.       

No comments:

Post a Comment