Thursday 4 August 2011

Wednesday - Shopping & Ninos Con Bendicion












Up bright & early this morning & after breakfast, Linda & I walked into the shopping centre of Antigua.  An adventure on the way back as we asked a woman for directions to the hotel & she lead us astray--I don't think on purpose.  It's very hard here as there are a lot of streets without street signs and all the streets look the similar.  Once lost or off the path, it's hard to figure out.  Anyway, I waved down a PNC truck (police) & two young men who didn't know where the hotel was located tried to give directions in Spanish, waving their arms in both directions, not able to speak any English and then one said "in truck" which I understood meant they would drive us & indicated so.  So Linda & I climbed in the back & they drove us all around Antigua--even took us outside the cobbled streets--even I knew we were going wrong then.  The driver asked several shops where Quinta de las Flores hotel was.  At one point they even drove right by the hotel & I couldn't get them to stop!  I was busy getting out some money to pay them.  After asking another shop owner, they drove us down the familiar street & were looking sideways back & forth & I indicated that the hotel was on the left.  Finally!  What a sight that would have been getting out of a police vehicle!  And no, I don't have a picture!  For the afternoon, most of the group went to visit at Lesbi's home where she keeps the children from Ninos Con Bendicion (the performers during pre-service) so we spent time with them making picture frames, playing baseball, making tortillas (and eating them too).  I had a chance to see Carlos again.  I handed out packages of playing cards for the girls and another for the boys and taught Jacqueline how to play Fish.  She plans to share this with her friends.  Lesbi and her family (her mother was there as well) are wonderful people and they do so much for the children.  A wonderful afternoon!  Upon return, Linda & I took a Tuk Tuk back into the shoppng area as she had to pick up a gift & of course, I ended up doing some more shopping as we went to a couple of markets.  We had supper and took a taxi back to the hotel.  Certainly would not walk at night.  One thing I`ve noticed is that it gets very dark quickly & much earlier than at home.  No more police rides for us!  The hotel has an open livingroom area--covered area with couches and fireplace and a group of us sat there & chatted until bedtime.  A wonderful day all in all (including the police ride)!     

No comments:

Post a Comment